Thursday, October 28, 2010

Penn State vs. Michigan Football: Students Start Project 7 to Fill Stands Early

Evidently there's a group of students who are as upset as I am about the empty stands in the student section at Penn State.  That's welcome news!

Here's my photo of the student section at the Illinois game as the team ran out onto the field, about 5 minutes before kickoff:




This was Homecoming at Penn State, and it was quite embarrassing.  We were, after all, playing a Big Ten team, Illinois, in a competitive game.  My students would argue with me, however, that the problem was a 12 noon game.


However, the week before against Temple wasn't any better for a 3:30 game!  Here is my photo of the student section 54 seconds AFTER the game started. 




Still, my students told me, we will be in the stands on time for Michigan. 

So I challenged them with a picture of the student section at Iowa for a 6 p.m. game 12 minutes BEFORE the game started:






Told them that if we can't beat Iowa on the field, then at least we can beat them in the stands!!!

In any case, one of my students yesterday told me about Project 7, an initiative by students to fill the student section an hour before kickoff at 7 p.m.

I say, kudos to all the students who are doing this! 

That's a great initiative, and I'm just trying to spread the word.

So why don't all of us commit to be in the stands by 7 p.m. on Saturday?

If you're on Facebook, here's where you can sign up to say you will do this. 

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/event.php?eid=158346107538371&index=1


Perhaps you can give some encouragement to these students by commenting on how important this initiative is.

Then perhaps I wouldn't be such a lone voice!  Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment